Thursday, September 11, 2008

What was I doing?

I suppose many people will be asking themselves this question, or sharing the answer with anyone who wants to hear it. Why? I've often asked myself why focus on the past? Perhaps so that we may never forget.

I was holding my fourth month old baby in my arms and giving him his 3 o'clock feeding while watching the midday news cast on the Spanish state channel. The anchorwoman did not begin with the typical preview of the newscast ahead. Instead she announced that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade towers. A few minutes into her explanation of the "accident" they showed the second "accident" and at that moment I knew that something was terribly wrong. I held my baby in my arms prayed and cried.
The next few hours were a blur. I tended to the miracle of life that the Lord had given me, while watching death and destruction on the television screen and praying for mercy and forgiveness on us all. I prayed for survivors and for the families that I knew were going to be submerged in the deepest sorrow. I also prayed for those who had been responsible for the horrendous act of taking human lives.

Seven years later I am still praying that something like that may not ever happen again. I pray that those directly affected may find solace and will be able to forgive. I pray for those affected by consequences of September 11: the individuals who survived, children in Basra who are dying of cancer, American troops...

And prayer has healed me and given me hope.

To quote a dear blogging friend (who in turn is quoting a classic):

God bless us, everyone.

No comments: