Friday, December 14, 2007

Saturday, December 15 - Getting Ready for Gaudete

Oh! The Lord is now nigh and close at hand!!!!!!
Indeed reason to REJOICE!
This very special Third Sunday of Advent must be commemorated in some meaningful way . But what to do?
Well, we usually bake a cake and make a birthday card for Jesus a few days before CHRISTmas. I want Julian to really concentrate on the fact that this is about Jesus and not really about the many gifts he is going to receive. (I really mean many. He's an only child, only grandson on D's side of the family. This makes for an avalanche of gifts on CHRISTmas and Epiphany. I don't like it, but it's a reality I have to deal with.)
So we take time out to decorate a large piece of construction paper and write our birthday wishes for the Baby Jesus. We display it prominently and sing Happy Birthday Jesus. I hope that doing this will heighten the expectation for his arrival on CHRISTmas Day.
I know that these last ten days until CHRISTmas, looking at that home-made birthday card will remind Julian and all who come into our home why we celebrate CHRISTmas.

No comments: